Monday, February 20, 2017

Feeling Like a Black Sheep, eh?

When you Google the the definition for the word infinite, the definition that you will find is "limitless or endless in space, extent, or size." This is a fairly tough concept to wrap our minds around, but we generally understand that something that is infinite is understood to be limitless. 

With that understanding in mind, we sometimes hear Christ's atonement (His suffering and death for us) described as infinite, and we understand that it can be enough to cleanse and strengthen anyone, anytime, anywhere. However, it has occurred to me over time from my own experience that while we understand this concept intellectually, I think that we at times may actually really feel in our hearts as though there is a limit to His atonement--a place, a time, a person that it does not cover. Unfortunately, I believe that this person more often than not for most people is themselves.

Many of us have known someone who has been touched by Christ's grace, and we know that many others have and can be as well, but at times it can be difficult for us to believe we can be included among these people. In Mosiah 29:20, the king of the Nephites reminds his people of how a part of them had recently been in bondage and teaches "[God] did deliver them because they did humble themselves before him; and because they cried mightily unto him he did deliver them out of bondage; and thus doth the Lord work with his power in all cases among the children of men, extending the arm of mercy towards them that put their trust in him." 

The part of this teaching that I would like to call out is that Mosiah states in no uncertain terms that the Lord extends mercy in all cases. This means so much to me as I have felt before in my life that while the atonement was efficacious for others, I did not know if it could be efficacious for me. The strangest irony in this thought, though, is that as I have mentioned, this is not a unique thought--many of us at one point or another have felt this way. The atonement is in fact infinite and fortunately for us all, it does include all of us. I came to know this by calling upon Him for mercy myself and learning the truth that even for people who are certain His atonement won't work for them, sorry, (but not so sorry) it will.

For any of my friends or family who are living life wondering what others are talking about when they talk about how their lives have been changed by Christ, I would just invite you to try calling upon Him to strengthen you. For those of my friends and family who feel as I have in the passed in that they feel isolated and outside the bounds of His grace for whatever reason, I would just invite you to do the same. 

I don't know very many things absolutely, but I do know this. Christ loves us so much and anyone who trusts Him enough to try calling on Him sincerely can feel His truly matchless love as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment